I spent 21 days of August focusing mindfulness. The concept is very broad and seems hard in this digital hectic life with a lot of distractions. Yet, I knew I needed to try it to seek peace and joy in everyday life. I made it actionable in small things:
- meditate 5+ min a day in AM
- not checking email before official start of work day (usually 8 am)
- no social media during the day
- eat without devise
- only listen to music when running/walking/crafting, not when I cook/shower/brush teeth/with the family
- no multi-tasking like tune in to a meeting and check email, or watch a movie with the phone
- no email checking over the weekend
These were hard at first, but after 1 week or so they became easier. 3 weeks later, they became habit.
- I look forward to morning meditation
- I stop having urge when i finish my run to check emails, even when I really needed to get answer of something rather urgent
- I deleted FB, instagram and non-essentials apps last weekend. They don’t bring joy to me, so why keep them?
- If i eat while checking email nowadays, I immediately stop and transfer to the dining table, as if I wouldn’t enjoy the meal otherwise.
- Best thoughts come out of shower is real!
- I am getting so much more out of meetings these days as I’m fully engaged and can contribute more.
- Really good to unplug this way and even my boss had to excused himself when he sent a text over the weekend.
I will continue these and they make me a calmer, more positive, happier person. The best prove of that? I take comments/feedback so positively these days. Yesterday we had an important meeting and many important people had a lot of feedback on my work. few months ago, I would have taken them as criticism, but now I was genuinely thankful for their constructive feedback, which I believe will improve my work.
For September, I want to FIND JOY in daily life and capture them through pictures or writing down quotes that resonates me or make me smile.
Quote for the day:
Sofia: If I want something expensive, I will write to Santa.
2 sec later
Sofia: Is it that you buy it or is it really Santa brings it?
Me: you think about it.
1 sec later
Sofia and Lizzy together: Santa! (obviously)