I used to need certainty on things, big and small, as small as my lunch meeting set in my calendar a week earlier. Either I get certainty or I get anxious. 3 years into the pandemic, I realized that I live perfectly fine with uncertainty now. It’s less than 4 weeks before our relocation, we still don’t know if we will get Sofia’s visa on time, we still don’t have import and export permit for Cookie, and I am not stressing about it. What a change!!!
Other than the circumstances we had to live through, the pandemic, the change of job location, I think I learned to cope with it by embracing the changes, prepare for the worst scenario (can I live if the worst scenario happens? what would we do then?), and focus on the silver lining of the events.
I had lunch with a friend and she shared that his husband lived his life in a linear one, no change of house for 40 years, no change of job, no major events. Thus, if anything happens not according to plan, he gets stressed out. I can understand that. In that sense, I am glad that we are living through some interesting time with my girls, witnessing and living through the chaos, coming out more resilient and better prepared for the life surprises.
I am doing last minutes planning before my trip to Germany:
- scheduling get together with friends
- Sofia’s advanced birthday part with a small group of friends
- writing down girls activities so daddy and helper know where to take them
- writing down dinner plans and groceries list
- writing down my packing list to Germany, which is so much colder!!! I realized I don’t have any winter cloth, so I am asking to borrow from a friend
- buying 100 bottles of eye drops as I won’t have access to it in Jakarta, that will last me a year
- buying OTC medicines to take as buying medicine in a foreign country with non-english labels is so hard (i tried during my last trip)
- I planned another trip to Jakarta the week before our move. For work purpose and for inspect our condo before our move in
- doing the paper work for the car sell
- so much more…. my to-do list is so long this week and I’m trying to cross off few per day.